I am still digesting the best series finale ever made. I won’t detail the plot in case someone wants to watch, but oh my God, what a way to go out. It’s certainly better to burn out than fade away. David Chase & Co. could have learned a lot from the last season of The Shield.
1. Walton Goggins is awesome. I don’t know who wins tv awards, but he certainly deserves some. Basic cable has never seen such a well-crafted, dynamic character. Shane (a/k/a Cletus VanDamme) was certainly a fuck-up. However, you couldn’t help but root for him + Mara. Their scenes together over the last 3 episodes were something to behold. “Family meeting” - Are you fucking serious?!! I’m still reeling.
2. The show is so well written, but I also think Shawn Ryan + staff do an excellent job in editing and creating the proper pace to the show. Just when a grueling storyline becomes too unbearable, they’ll cut to a (relatively) easier to digest scene. I liked the closure with Dutch, Claudette and the teen-killer.
3. Vic – Chiklis may be 5’2, but for 7 seasons he was as bad-ass as it gets. Last episode, his facade
crumbled and he was exposed for the despicable asshole he really is. Yet, like Shane, even knowing all this, part of you can’t help but root for him. Like other great tv shows, over time so much gets invested in the characters that sometimes the viewer doesn’t want to see them for who they are.
4. Poor, poor Ronnie. You take a stove-burn to the face and this is what you get? Can’t go any further than that. Too soon.
5. CCH was on fire last night. Let’s hear it for The Shield’s moral authority.
And so ends a great era of tv dramas: The Sopranos, 6 Feet Under, The Wire, The Shield. Rest in peace. What’s left? nothing for me. I guess there’s always a Law & Order on somewhere. Maybe The Shield could produce a couple spin-offs:
The Shield II – Acevado v. Predator: Acevado is mayor. But with so many skeletons, how long will this honeymoon last? And could there be something supernatural in the mix? Find out after the season premiere of “Dirt” on Fx.
The Shield II – The Early Years: Lem is back, the team is together, and everyone is happy shaking down eastern europeans and such. Dutchman loses his virginity.
And so it goes. I will really miss the “Barn.” So long, Shield. So long.